Next up on our busy to do list was to visit Hickam AFB (air force base) to pick up some discounted tickets for snorkeling and the polynesian cultural center (PCC).
I don’t have many pictures from the actual base, because photography is largely forbidden. After picking up our tickets, we went to the actual Pearl Harbor base (since we both had military ID for them to let us in) and looked around at the navy ships and submarines. I even saw some Canadian naval ships!
Here’s a picture I borrowed of the HCMS Vancouver. (source)
We spend the next hour driving out to Pearl Harbor… only to discover my not-so-great Google maps on my iPhone had directed us to the wrong side of the harbor! Oops. We had to laugh, because really, what else could we do?
Late in the afternoon, we finally found the Pearl Harbor we were looking for (embarrassingly enough, it was right next to Hickam AFB).
Unfortunately, we’d missed the last tour for the day. We got up to the ticket counter and she said “the last tour was at 4:00 so that means…” and we got our hopes up “…you missed it by 40 minutes”. Jeez, thanks for the useful information lady. 😡
But we still toured the USS Bowfin (nicknamed the Pear Harbor avenger) which was a lot of fun. They gave us headsets with MP3 players that would explain about different parts of the submarine. This one was quite small compared to some of the ones today, I suppose.
Next, we visited the museum for the USS Bowfin. There was so much to see!
After coming back to our hotel and cleaning up, we went to the Prince Hotel for a very fancy buffet.
I felt bad wasting food but pretty much could only eat a bite or two of each thing since there was so much! My eyes are always bigger than my stomach!
Reliving all these Hawaii pictures is so fun! I don’t know what I’ll do when the recaps are over. Another vacation maybe? Just kidding. (kind of)
Recently, Nicole gave me the Versatile Blogger Award. She is such a doll!
I’m supposed to tell you 7 random things about myself… easy enough because I’m pretty random!
1. I canNOT wear mismatched socks. It would drive me crazy!
2. I’m a big list maker and sometimes I’ll write down things I’ve already done so I can see how much I’ve accomplished.
3. My all time favorite movie is The Little Princess, the one with Shirley Temple. I can (and have) watch it over and over.
4. I don’t particularly care for nuts or nut butter.
5. I HATE lunges (but do them anyways) but I LOVE squats.
6. I recently read a book called House Rules by Jodi Picoult. I’d highly recommend it.
7. I am fairly certain I could eat Thai food everyday. Unfortunately, I’m convinced I’m too white to make it right.
I’m also supposed to pass this on, but truly all of your blogs are so wonderful, I’d hate to leave anyone out, so consider yourself tagged!
Tell me, what’s one random thing about you?
I’m looking for a new read, any good book recommendations?